Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Burr

It's starting to get cold.  
I don't mind, but I like to ease my way into winter.  
Apparently it snowed today.  I wasn't awake to see it, or it wasn't significant enough for me to see.  
Most people hate snow.  And for the most part, I hate it too.  But I only hate snow when it causes my life to suck.   So for instance, when the roads are bad, when white snow turns into dirty slush on the streets, when my pants get wet when walkways are knee deep in snow, you get the picture.

But I love it when the first full layer of show is on the ground.  I think this whole "first snow of the year" is a load of crap.  No offense to who ever reads this.  For me, the "first snow of the year" is when I look outside and everything is white.  For the first time.  

Watching snow fall is very rewarding.  The first few times.  Then it gets a little old, and if you're driving and it's snowing, it looks like you're traveling light speed like Star Wars, which is awesome, except 10 seconds into it, it starts to look like Magic Eye and your head starts to hurt because you're looking for the road.  

So until that first blanket of snow appears, I will not acknowledge the snow.  

I want to start writing music again.  It's been a long time since I actually wrote a song.  I don't know how some people do it (i.e. musicians), because writing songs is not easy.  It also doesn't help that I don't really have much to write about.

I don't what the percentage is, but most songs are about love?  Please, correct me if I'm wrong.  
How can I write about something that I haven't truly experienced?  
I'm not going to write a song about love, and say this is what I think it is.  That's dumb.  
Substance comes from experience.  

So you got this guy here, who has been single all of his life.  This guy, of course, being me.  
I've never really been bothered with the fact that I've never been in a relationship.  
I never pursued anyone, I never led someone on.  I've told a couple girls how I felt about them, but that happened a long time ago and it was, needless to say, unfruitful.

So, what the heck do I write about?
I thought I struck a gold mine, when I decided I would write about how I felt about someone. For the most part, it worked.  I got some words written down and matched that up with melodies.  I could only ride that wave for so long.  

I then tried to write songs about people in general.  You know, like for fun.  I'd write a song about a friend, and let them put some input into the lyrics.  Of course, most of these were comical and made fun of the subject.  I only ended up writing one. 

I wanted to avoid the whole, "I want to get out of here" theme.  It's sad enough that I actually want to get out of here, I don't think it's necessary that I have to write a song about it.

So I think to myself now.  When will I fall in love with my significant other?  
I'm getting ahead of myself.  Instead, I should ask, when will I meet my significant other?

I'm still young.  But I'm getting older as the years go by, you know cause, that's how it works.  

Wouldn't it be great to know answers to some of those questions?  I know, I know, we aren't supposed to know until it happens.  It's fate.

I'm going to be honest with ya'll know. 
I believe in fate, but I also feel that not everything in our lives is decided by fate.  

I mean, to say that there is one significant person out there for me, seems a little ridiculous. 
It's hard to believe because people's minds change on a whim.  
I want to believe it though.  
If true, does that mean I just have to sit here and wait?  Or do I still have to search?

I have no idea how I got from "snow" to here.

No comments: